Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:21:39 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        shaun@crystal.com.au, adrianbsd@globalpc.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Symantec Ghost-like app for UFS?

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:19:07 -0800
Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org> wrote:

> > boot off old disk in single user mode, mount new drive and then use
> > tar to the following... for example, to do /usr,
> >
> > cd /usr tar cvf - --one-file-system * | tar xf - -C /mnt/new_usr
>
> A "more proper" incantation would be:
>
> tar lcvf - -C /usr . | tar xpf - -C /mnt/new_usr

I would use a dump | restore combo...

> > This is the way to do it if you are moving to a different sized disk
> > and want to change the paritition sizes.
>
> It "defrags" the filesystem, too, for those so inclined to believe in
> defragging.

As we are talking about UFS: no it doesn't. Even on an empty disk and a
file with a fraction of the size of the disk you will end up with
"fragmented" blocks. UFS doesn't write the data as one large chunk, it
"spreads" it all over the disk.

If the previous filesystem switched to "optimize for space", there may
be a little benefit for some files, but generally there's absolutely no
need to "defragment" a UFS partition.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            It is easier to fix Unix than to live with NT.