Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:05:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul), jhs@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, serious@freebsd.org, commercial@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

[ Licensing schemes ]

> > Think hard about this. It's not as easy as it may first appear. With
> > PCs, you can swap out practically all the hardware, particularly ethernet
> > cards, so trying to find a hardware ID value that doesn't change is a
> > real challenge.

Heck, I switch ethernet cards on my laptop a couple times/day. :)

> > Another problem with using ethernet addresses is that you need to
> > grovel around in /dev/kmem in order to get them. This would require your
> > executable to be setgid kmem in order to work.
>
> No.  If you use *IP* address, you don't have this problem.

Heck, I switch IP addresses on my laptop 4-5 times/month.  I also
*could* switch the name of my system that often as well, but I usually
don't since the hostname is irrelevant if your IP setup is valid.

> I specifically referenced IP addresses in my discussion because:

Neither IP address or ethernet address will work, because of all of the
previous reasons, plus some that haven't been discussed.  If I'm a
mobile user, don't punish me for having the ability to be flexible.

Basically, there is no good solution.  My opinion of the matter is to
make it a 'local' file that is hard to hack, and then someone hide it's
location in the FS (inode #????) so that if you copy it to another
machine it won't work.

My opinion is that the software should work on *this* disk, and that
everything else is subject to change. :)

Nate