Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:13:49 -0500
From:      Ron Tarrant <rtarrant@sympatico.ca>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Misleading

Hi,

The other day, I was reading Chapter 19 of the FreeBSD handbook online
and got into a bit of a pickle after clicking on a link. I'd like to
bring your attention to the following passage:

some controversial fix or update, giving the users a chance to respond
if they have any issues to raise concerning the proposed change.

mailing list will allow you to see the commit log entry for each change
as it is made along with any pertinent information on possible
side-effects.

the majordomo.

I'd like to suggest that these links be either changed to point to the
appropriate e-mail addresses or be taken out altogether so as to avoid
this type of thing happening. I'm not a newbie to computers or to UNIX,
but I was mislead by this and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I was
embarassed to find that, in my haste to quickly sign up to the mailing
list, I ended up looking like a bit of a dweeb to everyone else already
signed on. I admit I was in a hurry, but I don't quite understand why
these links would be set up in such a way as to post messages directly
onto the list. Seems a bit chancey in the grand scheme of things, given
that a number of corporate and marketing types are turning to FreeBSD
these days. Every single one of them, considering the time pressure
they're under, will likely do the same thing I did (who reads more than
they have to, right?). For the sake of the mailing list subscribers, I
implore you to make these changes.

Thanks for reading. If any part of this message comes across as rude, I
appologize.

-Ron Tarrant
rtarrant@sympatico.ca