Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:50:39 +0530 (IST)
From:      Kapil Chowksey <kch@kchowksey@hss.hns.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Need sparc openboot reference

On Friday, 22 January, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Searching through http://docs.sun.com i'm having a hard time finding a
> reference on how to interact with the sparc 'BIOS'.
>
> can anyone give me a url (specific) or recommend a book that details this?

I recommend buying `Writing Open Firmware Client Programs' from
http://www.firmworks.com

Easier is to look at /usr/include/sys/openprom.h on your Solaris
machine.

> since i have a 170/e and not a regular 170 (usparc) it's not booting
> netbsd correctly, i need to find out why.  I am looking at netbsd/linux

The reason for that is the `zs' chip is not being mapped at boot time
by your PROM. You can workaround this by using `iomap' family of Forth
commands before you boot.

--
Kapil Chowksey				"Viva GNU !"
kch@kchowksey@hss.hns.com