Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:14:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Fabrizio=20Ravazzini?= <freefabri@yahoo.it>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipnat/ipf vs ipfw/natd & bridge

Hello, I've built 2 firewall machines, a
bridge/firewall and a Nat/firewall with Fbsd4.3 to
connect a lan and a dmz to internet.
Because of ipf doesn't work with bridging on fbsd I
used ipfw on the bridge and ipnat/ipf on the nat.
I'd like to use ipfw/natd also on the nat machine to
connect the lan to internet so to have the same
firewall(ipfw) on both machines.
I know that ipfw/natd requires more cpu cicles than
ipf/ipnat.
But how much is natd/ipfw slower than ipnat/ipf?
Can be the difference between the two a bottle neck
for my Lan(about 200 machines) or dmz (about 50
machines)?