Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:38:24 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org, jasone@canonware.com, brian@hak.lan.awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Destabilization due to SMP development

> > What about doing the changes on a branch with the understanding that
> > the branch will *replace* HEAD when it stabilises ?
> >
> > This sounds odd at first glance, but it means that others are forced
> > to MFC into the smp branch - if they don't they lose.
> >
> > Anybody that's not confident to be able to merge into the smp branch
> > will simply be in the same position - merge or hold off.  They'd also
> > be just as likely to break the smp work with their commits as if the
> > smp work was done in HEAD.
> >

>  Isn't this the same thing as breaking the head and keeping every thing
> else (that is the pre-broken 5.0) on a branch...
>
>  Just sorta rotating the tree a little...
>
>  And, isn't this the same idea as -stable?
>
>  If that's all true - I'd suggest that those who really want stability
> might be better served with the -stable branch for the interim.  If you
> need a totally-brand-new-feature, then MFC that to -stable and get
> it there...
[.....]
>  I suppose I can sum this up with "isn't this already handled?"

True, if you run current you've gotta be able to cope with the blood.
However, I don't think it's a good idea to have a single project
prevent a load of other developers from doing their bits - not if it
can be helped.

I'm sure SMP is not the only code in -current that's not ready for
-stable yet.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>