Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 02:51:14 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X desktop contest? + Desktop Env

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 02:50:45PM +0000, Phillip Salzman wrote:

> > Not quite fair--to conclude there's no interest--because the contest
> > was suspended at least 10 days before the deadline, so people who
> > might have participated didn't.
> >
> > 	Annelise
>

> 	Close, except we suspended the contest the first time the day
> after the deadline.  At this point we recieved three entries, one of which
> was invalid.  It was decided to restart the contest along with the release
> of 3.0-RELEASE.  This would serve as a special kick-off party for it if
> you say... the day of the release, it was cancelled.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this story. I heard about the start by accident,
and didn't realise it had been restarted or cancelled.

> 	It could be said we should of let it last longer, to see if we
> got a final product that was worthy.  I admit that.
>
> 	In the ashes of the contest, we still need a better default
> configuration for X.  We are still limited with twm.  I propose we start
> a ``BSD X Development Enviornment'' which will include cheezy frontends to
> your favorite networking tools, etc.  The suggestion you told me of using
> TK may actually be one of our biggest choices, but I feel obligated to
> keep it away from that because of the many differences between versions.
> This could break anything we create after a newer version is released.
>
> 	Would any of you be interested in starting something like this?
> We would need a couple of developers with some experience in programming
> for X11.  I would like to keep it C, but TK will probally be fine..

That counts me out. I don't even know what you're talking about :-(

But I never needed a contest to make it worth creating a .fvwm2rc and a
meta-package to install a few of the basics that it uses.

All I needed the contest for was to give someone the incentive to write
some easy instructions on how to put it all together, and a few ideas
of what to include without going overboard. Now they've disappeared.

A how-to has a permanent benefit to the reader, a sure thing, much more
incentive than a remote chance to win a prize, in my book at least.
If what I do is of use to one other person, that's a bonus.

Don't big things grow from little things?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-