Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 06:49:11 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any reason we can't enable the bus mouse by default?

> You obviously have experience with a lot more APIs than I, but I don't
> see the Tk API being that convoluted compared with others that people
> are apparently entirely happy to use. It's simpler than any other X-based
> API I've ever used, for example.

I think you misunderstood me.  I have no particular bone to pick with
Tk per-se (though it could no doubt be improved and John himself has
said that if he could do it over, he would do many things differently),
what I have a problem with is the "Tk philosophy" extended to cover
other imaging models!  It just wasn't designed with that in mind!

Sure, write X apps in Tk to your heart's content - you'll have plenty
of good company and freely available add-on frobs to use.  But the
minute you're forced to support multiple models with one API, then
that's the moment it's time to go up a level to something that sits on
top of Tk and curses alike.

Tell ya what.  Let's wait and see. :-)

					Jordan