Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2013 16:40:28 +0200
From:      Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Corrupt GPT header on disk from twa array - fixable?

On Jun 2, 2013, at 16:02, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk> =
wrote:

> Does "gpart recover ada4" help at all?
>=20
> Be warned this could edit the partition on the disk and make it worse, =
but I've had success in the past with it.

I applied gpart recover to the other half of what was originally a =
mirror and it marked the missing parts as empty - which they weren't, so =
I'm glad I have two! (wouldn't have tried otherwise)

I expected something like that would happen. The partition table only =
looks corrupt when you look at it when it's not connected to the raid =
controller.

<haramrae@gmail.com>
over to the new one. In the old server, 4 of the disks were connected to =
a twa (3Ware 9550) controller, which of course has it's own way of =
marking units/volumes on those disks.
>>=20
>> Before you start yelling at me, yes, of course I made backups ;) [*]
>>=20
>> The thing is, I have these disks in the new server and I found that I =
(to my surprise) I can actually mount them! But, I'm missing a large =
part and I am wondering if there's some method to access those last =
partitions too.
>>=20
>> Here's what gpart show says about the problematic disk:
>>=20
>> # gpart show /dev/ada4
>> =3D>      34  41942972  ada4  GPT  (931G) [CORRUPT]
>>       34       128     1  freebsd-boot  (64k)
>>      162   1048448     2  freebsd-ufs  (512M)
>>  1048610   6291456     3  freebsd-swap  (3.0G)
>>  7340066   1048576     4  freebsd-ufs  (512M)
>>  8388642   2097152     5  freebsd-ufs  (1.0G)
>> 10485794  31457211     6  freebsd-ufs  (15G)
>> 41943005         1        - free -  (512B)
>>=20
>> As you can see, most (about 910GB) of the disk is missing! This disk =
was one half of a mirror on the twa controller, which had those disks =
split in two again (I don't recall how, perhaps 2 different BSD slices?)
>> I already looked if that part may perhaps have ended up as a =
different device. On the old server, fstab was this:
>>=20
>> # cat /tmp/solfertje/etc/fstab
>> # Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options Dump    Pass#
>>=20
>> # These are the partitions listed above in gpart
>> /dev/da0p2      /               ufs     rw      1       1
>> /dev/da0p3      none            swap    sw      0       0
>> /dev/da0p4      /var            ufs     rw      2       2
>> /dev/da0p5      /tmp            ufs     rw      2       2
>> /dev/da0p6      /usr            ufs     rw      2       2
>>=20
>> # These are missing
>> /dev/da1p1      /home           ufs     rw      2       2
>> /dev/da1p2      /media          ufs     rw      2       2
>>=20
>> # These are on a different disk (ada2)
>> /dev/da2p1      /media2         ufs     rw      2       2
>>=20
>>=20
>> I don't _really_ need to get to those partitions, but it would be a =
comfortable thought if it were possible somehow.
>>=20
>>=20
>> [*] The reason I was trying to access those disks anyway is that I =
thought I forgot to backup my database tables, but it turns out I had =
just misplaced that backup and it has been restored now.
>>=20
>> Alban Hertroys
>> --
>> If you can't see the forest for the trees,
>> cut the trees and you'll find there is no forest.
>>=20
>=20
>=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. =
and the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of =
misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing =
or otherwise disseminating it or any information contained in it.=20
> In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission =
please telephone +44 845 868 1337
> or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.
>=20

Alban Hertroys