Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:29:22 +0200
From:      Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Market economics and subjective reality (Re: Sorry, I just couldn't let this go by...)

Brett Glass writes:
> curves that David posits, their market shares would remain constant. But
> there ARE other OSes, of course, so we must introduce them into the equation.
> What is the effect of doing this? Well, because FreeBSD has far fewer users
> than Linux, those other OSes cut into its market share more, on a percentage
> basis, than into the market share of Linux. (The disparity increases as Linux
> pulls farther ahead of FreeBSD.) So, FreeBSD can (and does!) see a decrease
> in market share  even as Linux sees an increase.

	For once I'll reason at your level:

	YOU estimate that FreeBSD can only survive/be viable/whatever
	if and only if its relative share / market share as compared
	to other OSes is high enough -- something like:

	"exponential is not enough, since factor 2 growth means FreeBSD will have
	6 million users less than Linux (whatever that means), then 12 million less"
	(even if we'll still have the same ratio)

	Jordan (and most other people here -- shoot me if I'm putting words
	in people's mouth, don't worry, they've been sterilized) are saying:

	"it doesn't matter what the market share/user base ratio is, as long
	as we get at least 1 million users, with the following objectives:

	1 million users: people will develop drivers for us
	2 million users: companies will develop drivers for us
	4 million users: people will write stupid articles, but get us notices, and
		start using BSD outside prod. environments
	8 million users: we can find a scape goat to be our Messiah, even if he's Finnish

	I think it's about "miminum user base for survival and healthy activity" vs.
	"we're not good enough!  we're gonna die!  we can't be Pepsi, we have to be
	Coca-Cola!"

	Err..

--
Division by Zero error -- multiplying by zero to recover.