Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:04:37 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video / TV

--==_Exmh_1837382495P

> Since nothing really answered my question(s) via the search engine, I
> hate to bother anybody here, but........
>
> I see nothing in the 4.X branch that supports the ATI all-in-wonder
> cards.  Will / is there support for that piece of hardware in the 5.0
> branch?  Any pointers or redirects to some reading?

Take a look at the GATOS project drivers for the ATI cards. It's a
separate branch from the XFree86 tree, but will get rolled back in
sometime.

You can, in case you're wondering, install the Linux binary drivers (on
the web site) and load them straight over the standard modules that come
with your XFree server, and this doesn't need Linux emulation on your
machine (because the XFree server has it's own, platform independant
mechanism for loadable modules).

Someone else mentioned that they compile just fine on FreeBSD too, if
you don't like using binaries...

I've been using these drivers for nearly a year to provide XV (hardware
color transforms and scaling) support for an ATI Rage128 Mobility in my
laptop, and they work great for me.

From http://gatos.sourceforge.net:

GATOS project provides enhanced drivers for many videocards made by ATI
(in particular All-in-Wonder series) and a TV player/recorder
application AVview. While ultimately we would like AVview to be
compatible with all video capture hardware supported by Linux at the
moment it supports GATOS drivers far better than anything else.

I don't know about the video support specifically, you'd probably need
some kind of support for the Video4linux API. There was some talk about
that a while ago on -multimedia, searching that might turn up something
more.

HTH.

Regards,

AS