Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:47:15 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The 99,999-bug question: Why can you execute from the    stack?

At 12:07 PM -0500 7/21/98, Jeremy Shaffner wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Brett Glass wrote:
>
>> At 02:57 PM 7/20/98 -0600, Paul Hart wrote:
>>
>> > Consider Bugtraq and the other popular security mailing lists as
>> > required reading.  Absolutely.  None of these holes would have
>> > taken you by surprise if you had diligently read these lists.
>>
>> Not necessarily. An exploit can be used long before it hits the
>> lists.
>

> Not not necessarily.  Absolutely.  If you were ware of it when the
> rest of us were, you would have had it fixed.  Period.

I expect some corrolary of Murphy's Law will dictate that at least
some breakins will occur while you're on vacation, or over long
holidays.

How we should respond to that is still debatable, I am just saying
that you can still get "taken by surprise", unless you really plan
on working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and never take any
vacation.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute