Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:39:06 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        joe@pavilion.net (Josef Karthauser)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New boot blocks + serial hardware handshaking?

Josef Karthauser wrote:

> We're having trouble using the new boot loader code and '-h' in
> boot.config.  It appears that unless the terminal is connected to
> the serial port a machine doesn't reboot properly.  My guess is
> that the new boot serial code is defaulting to hardware handshaking
> on the serial terminal line, whereas the original boot code didn't.
>
> A quick glance at the code didn't confirm this, but does anyone
> know the answer to this off the top of their heads?

As the one who did the actual coding, I can confirm that the approach
adopted in both the new bootblocks and the boot loader is virtually
identical to that used in the older (biosboot) bootblocks.  In all
cases, the simplest approach giving the smallest code sizes was
used, so there's very little difference between the three sets of
routines.

The above applies to 3.0-current.  In 3.0-release, the boot loader
was still using BIOS routines (with hardware handshaking), but this
was changed around late November 1998.

--
Robert Nordier