Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:18:12 -0700
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
Cc:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: System panic under load (additional information)

Micah wrote:
> Kostik Belousov wrote:

>>> It seems now that any time I compile openoffice the system will
>>> eventually panic. Other disk intensive jobs, like my nightly
>>> photo-album update, may or may not trigger it. I currently have two
>>> dumps for 6.1p10. I thought this might be failing hardware because
>>> the system has worked fine for nearly a year, but the fact that it
>>> panics on the same line of code every time makes me wonder.
>>
>> I'm very suspicious to the claim of failing hw since trace is the same
>> all
>> times (is this true) ? This looks like memory corruption.
>
> They're not identical, see below. I didn't compare the traces until now
> since the proximate cause was the same line of code.
>
>> First, I would recommend to update to RELENG_6 due to a number of VFS
>> fixes.
>> Second, could you set kern.maxvnodes in the /boot/loader.conf ? Check the
>> value choosen by kernel by "sysctl  kern.maxvnodes", and then set it
>> to the 2/3 of the reported number and reboot.
>
> I'll try the update first by itself to see.
>
>> If I not gather any useful info from that action, I most likely
>> provide you
>> with debugging patch.
>>
>> --
>> Kostik Belousov.
>
> Thanks for the help,

It's been a little over 24 hours since I upgraded to RELENG_6, and I
haven't had a single panic since. I successfully built OO.org and my
nightly scripts ran through completely. I'll throw some heavy loads at
it tomorrow to stress it some more, but for now it looks like whatever
was wrong has been fixed for 6.2.

Thanks,
Micah