Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:24:14 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au, hamellr@heorot.1nova.com, Joe.Warner@smed.com, postmaster@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hello from russia!

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 07:08:24PM -0800, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> what does Sue Blake, Greg Lehey and the other old timers on the
> freebsd-newbies list have to say about the name change.

I wanted something more explicit, like newbies-chat, at the outset,
so of course I would support a change now.

> in part this seems to be a simple matter of people not reading the
> mail list charter, which is sent to them when they first subscribe:

Exactly. I would say to anyone who claims this list should be used for
questions, that one of the purposes of this list is to keep your
chatter out of the other lists until you learn that it is essential to
abide by list charters and develop an attitude of willingness to
cooperate in an established team. The other lists would treat you very
rudely indeed if you tried this sort of snottyness there. Newbies has
space to tolerate and forgive anyone who's willing to learn, so it's a
good place to learn proper mailing list use without getting an
egg-splattered face that lasts for life.

I can't guarantee that changing the name will fix our problems, but it
will give a firmer foundation on which to demand that the restrictions
which have always existed be adhered to. Just as importantly, it would
save some new members who don't read the info from losing face on
the first day, a big turn-off for insecure people.

When the list was created I warned that linux-newbies is for questions
so people coming from linux might assume freebsd-newbies is the same.
Many more people are coming over from linux now, and naturally bringing
this name-based assumption with them.

I do take your point, Jonathan, that if they're not going to have the
decency to read what's in front of them and go along with the
established rules, it's not worth turning the world upside down to
change something that will probably make little difference.
In your position I would probably have been reluctant to make a change.

I would point out, though, that some of the worst offenders over the
years have been experienced people who want to be adored for giving
(bad) technical support advice to grateful underlings but don't want to
do it properly in -questions where their own wrongs are likely to be
corrected by their own peers. They not only don't read the charter, but
when they are pointed to it they scream blue murder and wave the list
name around in a most assertive manner, refusing to follow the charter
and asking others to ignore it too. They're gurus, so they know all
don't they? For some strange reason, I have had no success in getting
certain well known old timers to accept that we must live by this list
charter too, or getting rid of them when they mislead newbies for their
own ego gratification. The list name is always wielded as a sharp
excuse in these cases. Yes, even by old timers.

Note that we have had some very helpful non-technical contributions
from people like Nik (writing docs) and Grog (using -questions) who
do understand the purpose of this list and abide by the charter. But
they too seem powerless to weed out the occasional self-styled saviour.

Setting aside an enclave for newbies to socially interact alone with
their peers presents a great freedom when it is most needed. It also
makes newbies vulnerable to misinformation from any intruder with a
known name or an assertive tone. It can only work if the charter is
upheld here as strongly as it is in the other lists. Unfortunately,
when charter and name seem to contradict most will cling to the name.

Two things that many newbies want but can't get here are
 1. A comfortable place to ask questions
 2. A place to try answering easy questions
FreeBSD-Questions is and should be both of these, and if ever it
doesn't serve that purpose then the whole community must pull together
to fix it. Bitching within freebsd-questions itself never got us
anywhere. I believe that only newbies can say what is bad for newbies
and how to make it right. FreeBSD-Newbies provides the only safe place
where such issues can be discussed newbie-to-newbie without too much
interference until thoughts become clear and problems, like the one
currently under discussion, are resolved.

That's why I've tried not to be too involved. Although I started the
list and I'm available for guidance, I prefer to leave space for
newbies to work out their own needs. They seem to be saying they need a
name change. It is not for me to judge their decision, but you did ask
for my view.

Jonathan, while we're here... I've had trouble getting my mail through
lately (two IPs here, hub sees the wrong one) so I'll tack this request
on the bottom:

Could you please change the URL in the majordomo intro/info file from

> > Resource list       http://www.freebsd.org/newbies.html  <-- wrong

 Resource list       http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html

I think the old URL used to be a symlink but now it's become 404.

TIA

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-