Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 14:52:51 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating rdist

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 07:45:53AM -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> In message <20001111035905.A82574@dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien"
> writes:
> > I have just committed a `44bsd-rdist' port.
> > So the question is, do we totally remove `rdist' from the base system,
> > or update it to rdist 6.1.5?
>
> Now that it's in ports I perceive (please correct me if my perception
> is wrong) that less attention to security and bug fixing might be paid
> to rdist.  Or do we have a commitment that the port will be maintained
> with as much attention as any software in the base system?

We put as much attention in fixing the vulnerability in 44bsd-csh as we
did contrib/tcsh.  Kris (Security Officer) has been spending a *lot* of
time on Ports vulnerabilities.  His numerous (heck, tons) of FreeBSD
Security Advisories shows that. :-)

> Since we now have a 44bsd-rdist port, why don't we maintain it like we
> did the OpenSSH port:  Check it out of the OpenBSD or NetBSD CVS
> repositories.

I don't see the advantage of doing that.  Plus some may want our full CVS
repo history for rdist.  If you check out the 44bsd-* ports, you'll see
that I package the full RCS files up, and any changes to the code has to
be done thru RCS.  No patches allowed in the 44bsd-* ports.

> On to another idea and another tangent:  Why not leave both rdists in
> ports and have sysinstall ask the user whether 44bsd-rdist (compatible
> with most vendors UNIX systems), rdist6 (compatible with Linux), and/or
> rsync be installed.

It already does, thru the Package installation submenu. ;-)

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX