Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:35:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mathias Picker <mathiasp@virtual-earth.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HELP! Lost my root device entries, can't create them 'cause root is mounted read-only

OK, I lost my root device entry wd0s2a. :-(

Now I can only boot single-user, with root mounted read-only, and I
can't "mount -u -w /" because wd0s2a doesn't exists. ("mount: file
doesn't exist" or something like that)

Now the hard part: I can't get the fixit floppy to work!! The system is
a 3.0-current from the day before 3.0 release (I guess this shouldn't
matter much), and I'm using the 3.0-release boot and fixit images. I can
boot, choose the fixit/floppy option and actually mount the floppy
(screen 2 shows DEBUG: mounted fd0 succsessfully on /mnt2 or something
like that.) but then the "Insert writable fixit floppy" pops up again
and I can't get any further. No shell on screen 4. I can still switch to
screen 2 (debug info). I can do ctrl-alt-del and abort the thing. But I
can't do esc or enter - nothing happens on these keys.

I tried the emergency holographic shell, but can't even use ls :-(, so
I don't really know how to use it...

_Any_ help greatly appreciated (<- that spelling right?!?)!!! I really
need this machine!

Thanks, Mathias

P.S.: Please mail me directly, too, since I only read the digest, and
that takes some time to arrive.

--

  Mathias Picker

Consultant Information Architecture