Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:19:11 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@datalinktech.com.au>
To:        Jay Chandler <chandler.lists@chapman.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Widescreen on Xorg?

Jay Chandler wrote:
> Pretty screen, but running in Xorg and GNOME, I'm limited to a
> resolution that's rather crap (1280x1024 before it starts shifting
> around following the mouse).
It should "just work" using the defaults. I have no experience with that
specific monitor but have have run the earlier series Samsung SyncMaster
which are limited to 1280x1024 native resolution (ie not widescreen),
but I do run widescreen 1680x1050 on an asus L4 series notebook which
15.4" screen and OEM ATI Mobility 9700.

> Section "Monitor"
>        #DisplaySize      470   300     # mm
>        Identifier   "Monitor0"
>        VendorName   "SAM"
>        ModelName    "SyncMaster"
>        ModeLine     "1680x1050" 119.0 1680 1728 1760 1840 1050 1053
> 1059 1080
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>        HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
>        VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0

As a first shot, comment out these two lines and let X determine the
valid ranges, incorrect settings are probably causing valid modes to be
discarded (discarded modes are logged in /var/log/Xorg.0.log which will
be the first place to look when you're trying to resolve problems like
this).

>        Option      "DPMS"
> EndSection
> ~
> And a screen section with no mode settings but a bunch of color depths.

You can try removing those as well unless you want to use Ctrl-Alt-+/-
mode switching, X defaults are fairly sensible these days.

Hope this helps,

David