Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:19:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, woods@zeus.leitch.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Static vs. dynamic linking (was Re: Using MD5 insted of DES ...)

> > (I am assuming that disk space isn't much of a concern anymore, due to
> >  the amazingly low cost of disk space today.)
>
> Except on embedded systems/laptops. :(

I agree.  Embedded systems have a more complex set of tradeoffs, where
it is possible that memory profile is even more critical.  Disk on
laptops is often much more expensive.

I suggest that our primary platform market is servers, and optimizing
for those is useful for reviews (remember the 64MB fiasco???)  If
we all decide that it is generally good to make binaries shared, we
need to make intelligent exceptions.  I'll scream terribly loudly
if we even passingly consider making a shell shared!!!  Shells
are almost never advatageously made shared.

John