Date:      Fri, 04 May 2001 15:25:36 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Concern over ftp.freebsd.org

Terry Lambert wrote:

> I'm not interested in anything at all regarding IDE; can you filter
> that from -hackers, too?  Isn't hackers for talking about _technology_?
> IDE hardly qualifies...

It might be obsolete technology but it still technology nevertheless.
Some people do subscribe to Popular Mechanics you know??

> > > No, it's not.
> > >
> > Is CVS broken ??
>
> No, the Makefiles in FreeBSD are broken.  Since it's available
> from CVS, but not FTP, the Makefiles shouldn't use FTP, by your
> reasoning, right?

My only reasoning is that FreeBSD is not dead just because the ftp
sites are broken. Actually we reached a milestone...there is so much
interest in a release that the network can't withstand it anymore !! I
hope this doesn't occur again, but we can be happy.

> In point of fact, the 35 ports necessary fro building a release
> are _NOT_ in FreeBSD's CVS.
>
> > People shouldn't complain so much for something that is provided for
> > free... remember..the BSD license doesn't include "the right to ftp
> > the software from my nearest repository". It was particularly
> > ridiculous to see this Jesus Monroy "demanding" heads to roll. No way,
> > please keep the clown in -chat.
>
> I didn't see him use that phrase.

It was not his phrase, but I think I got his idea: " B) Major
incompetence (in which someone should resign)".

OT: Hmmm..did I mention I am considered an alien in this country ??

> While I agree he failed to
> express himself well, the point that FreeBSD as a project is
> apparently fragile is well taken.

FreeBSD has never been a project: projects start and have a defined
termination. FreeBSD has had some difficult moments, that's
true...remember when a really important core team member left the
project?? That was much more serious, imho, but we are still alive and
we'll be kicking for much long.

I respectfully think you are overreacting Terry: whatever is happening
with Wind River and the whole situation behind the many .com's
suddenly dying shouldn't be tied up with FreeBSD.

Personally I am more worried that as a community we have been unable
to take advantage of all the relevant opportunities. What happened
with stacking filesystems, with OpenAFS, with OpenOffice?? We always
complain that other OSs are getting all the attention..but those
projects that are here for us receive no attention.

I've never lost faith in FreeBSD, but where was all this concern when
we needed votes to get Kylix ported to FreeBSD??  This is no rant
against you Terry...I'm perfectly aware that you have always done your
best to help. You just can't expect the community to react like you
want to, even when it seems to be in their own benefit.

	Pedro.