Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:10:48 +0200
From:      Inge Thorin Eidsæther <webdude@phreaker.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freecom Traveller II CD-RW supported in 4.6?

Hi

I wonder if anyone has had success in getting the new
external Freecom Traveller II 16X/10X/24X CD-RW drive
(PCCard version) to work under FreeBSD?

Link to product page:
http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=388

I plan to use it with cdrecord on a laptop computer
(running FreeBSD 4.6 RELEASE) of the following make:

Toshiba Satellite 4080XCDT
- Mobile Pentium II 366MHz(1.6V)
- Intel 440DX Chipset
- 192 MB SDRAM (64MBit, 3.3V, 60ns)
- 2 PCMCIA slots (supports both 16bit PCCard and 32bit CardBus)
- 1 USB v1.1 slot

Note: I have researched my options, and come to the conclusion that
the solution lies in a CD-RW drive like the one mentioned above, or
a similar product, like Smart & Friendly (web site in bad shape...),
for these reasons:

My computer has no USB2 ports, and I do not want to upgrade to -current
to (maybe) get a PCMCIA based USB2 controller to work. Whereas USB2 writers are easily come by, I have not been able to find any USB1 ones.
The combination of a 16-bit PCMCIA (PCCard) SCSI controller (also quite hard to come by, they all sell 32-bit CardBus now) and an external SCSI
CD-RW drive would be too expensive, possibly also adding the cost of a special interface adapter...

Any suggestions or tips are highly welcome!

thanks for your time and kind help,

Inge Thorin Eidsaether
webdude at phreaker dot net

*** If you want to break the rules, you must first know them ***