Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 20:48:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD box as a router

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> I wonder if somebody did real testing of FreeBSD box with, let's say, two
> Ethernets and one 2M serial card (or some other hw with equivalent
> bandwidth), which would act as a router, using e.g. Gated. How well it
> behaves under heavy traffic? How many packets get dropped/ignored/else?
> How much memory it requires? How much swap? What is *real* throughput of
> such a beast? etc...

I've got a P120/32m with 2 ZNYX 314s in it.  8 ethernet ports total, 5 in
use.  It works very well.

I don't have any hard numbers, but I was ftp'ing from an Ultra1/140 to a
P90 across the router and got around 850k/sec transfering a 300 meg
tar/gzip file.

And the P90 was waiting on the Ultra.

Just get a few ZNYX 314s and you'll be ready to go.

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|