Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:33:03 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Poor Mans Software raid 1 on root partition?

At 09:03 PM 7.16.2002 +0200, Mattias Pantzare wrote:
>> seems to be on the "backup" and very little on the restore -- and I'm
>> speaking more from the disaster recovery -- to get back up and running
>> within minutes. In raising the question about that, I have noticed few have
>> ever "tested" any sort of backup plans to see if they really can restore,
>> or how quickly they can restore.
>>
>> I for one would sure like to hear more about recovery plans..... mine is to
>> use two identical HDs on each server and run DD frequently, with tars for
>> incremental. Thus, I have found it very simple to shut down, pull the bad
>> HD, move HD #2 up and re cable it -- then boot and voila! I'm back up.
>> THEN, add back any incremental while running in the meantime....
>
>What will hapen if the HD crashes while you are copying it? You can end
>upp with bad content in files without you knowing it.
>
>rsync is probably better than dd.

Well that would really be a bad day....! But, that can happen when copying
to anything... tape for instance... dump... tar... dunno about rsync
whether it would survive with a good copy. But, in my case, as I said, I
copy tars over NFS to other machines. So, as a fallback in that extreme
example (never had that one in 14 years...but anything can happen), I
resinstall the OS on a new HD and then copy back my latest backups from the
other machines. So, in between an extreme case, I can recover and be
running within minutes with my "DD" method....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net