Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:30:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        Matt Turner <mattst88@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for Alpha-interested users and developers

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Matt Turner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Though I don't know the history and the reasons, I'm sad to see
> FreeBSD dropping Alpha support.
>
> What I do know is that there is still Alpha hardware in use. Alpha
> fans are still working in places to fix bugs and bring new software to
> the platform.

I had an DS10, which was a nice box for home use, and finding
unaligned pointer bugs in software. Currently I use a Sun to
do the same job.

The only thing I'd still like to do is port *BSD to the DS15,
just because it's possible. But these boxen are pretty much impossible
to find and insanely expensive (5k euro). Mainly because most
customers were smart enough to buy the bigger boxes (ds25, 45)
and because of common hardware failures.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem