Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:19:28 -0600
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Jon Clausen <freebsd-questions@ymmv.dk>
Subject:   Re: jail.$jailname.conf not directly in /etc/ ?

On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 5:19 AM Jon Clausen <freebsd-questions@ymmv.dk> wrote:

> On 2022-02-19 11:03:08 (-0600), Kyle Evans wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 3:29 AM Jon Clausen <freebsd-questions@ymmv.dk> wrote:
>
> > > Any ideas?
> > >

> > In main we've added a facility to organize jail confs a little
> > differently: /etc/jail.conf.d/<jail>.conf.
>
> Right
>
> > I think, personally, if
> > we're going to allow a flexible config here (which I think we should),
> > we should just expand this latest form and leave the others be.
>
> I think I agree: Leave the old way as is, but add the new option.

> > might've even brought this up in the review, because I had thought
> > about it; maybe something like this:
> > https://people.freebsd.org/~kevans/jail_conf_dirs.diff to search
> > /etc/jail.conf.d and /usr/local/etc/jail.conf.d by default.
> >
> > That doesn't really solve the problem at hand, but it might be a clean
> > solution for the future.
>
> Well, yes,and no.
>
> Combining the input I got from some of the other replies (and some off-list)
> I came up with this "solution", which actually seems to be working
>
> [... snip ..,]

Hah, I like that.

> So basically, by overwriting the parse_options() function with a patched
> version, I can get the system to handle a jail_conf_dirs setting in rc.conf.
>
> Now, this is an acceptable situation for me, since this is all for my
> personal little herd of jails, and it's only me messing with these systems.
> But it's probably not something anyone would want to pursue in a real
> production environment.
>
> As a proof of concept, however I'd say this does seem to work, and it's
> actually pretty mush exactly what I was hoping for... so "yay!" :)
>
> Now I just have to remember to to watch out for updates to the system, so my
> local version doesn't get in the way if /etc/rc.d/jail gets updated
> upstream... :P

On the plus side, this rc script doesn't really see frequent
fundamental changes. I'll go ahead and put my patch into review (+
manpage addition), because I can see the utility in having the rc
script search $localbase as well.

> But thanks everyone, for the responses :)

Glad we came up with a workable solution. :-)

Thanks,

Kyle Evans