Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:35:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      carter@pair.com
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   soft updates, write cache

Hello,

I'm a bit unclear on the interactions of soft-updates and drive write cache. I
hear one should disable the write cache on IDE/ATA drives when using
soft-updates. However, I am unsure if this is something I can set with sysctl,
or must use a utility from the drive manufacturer. I run 4.1.1 currently, and
hw.ata.wc is not listed as a known oid with sysctl.

As well, 5.x I understand will enable soft-updates by default. Should I trust
that write caching is correctly disabled, or worry that my IDE device controlls
this with its own BIOS? IBM for example, offers a separate tool to change the
drive features.

Thanks,

Chris Carter