Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:00:22 -0500
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd mirroring/release strategy over the next 12 months ?

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 02:27:10PM +1000, jason andrade wrote:

I'll take a crack at answering some of this, but someone(s) might need
to correct some of this.

> o number of architectures being supported/released - is this likely to
>   increase ? is there a definitive list now of which sites are carrying
>   ALL architectures and which aren't in the official mirrors ?

I'm seeing some active development work being done on MIPS but it's
just barely getting rolling.  I'd be a little surprised if it becomes
something for the mirror system to be concerned with for a while.  I'm
sure I am not in all of the Developer circles yet though so there might
be development activity I'm not seeing.

> o size of the freebsd archive - release and ISO images have been growing
>   but the real killer has been the multi architecture packages trees.
>
>   are there any plans to try and reduce this overall ? e.g not spin a
>   packages tree of this size out for every architecture ?

None that I'm aware of but Kris might have something to say about it.
We do have plans to increase the size of the partition the FTP site
sits in on ftp-master.

Generally speaking the target is two versions of the 4.X series and
two versions of the 5.X series on ftp-master, plus the -current package
sets.  Yes, I agree that's a lot and getting bigger.  Tutorial on how
to use cvsup/rsync to sync less than the entire site in the hubs article
is way overdue, I'll try to get back to that soon.

> o coordination of 'master' sync sites and 'tier1' mirrors - it's great
>   that there is now a US and a Europe 'master' sync site.  is there a
>   requirement to add any more ?  is again time for some cleanup on
>   who is mirroring freebsd, how completely and how often ?

You forgot the Japan master. :-)  If you folks are not seeing issues
with where you currently sync from we should be OK in that regard at
least for now.  But if you're seeing some strain on the masters from
your perspective maybe it's time for another.  ftp-master.us doesn't
seem to be under any stress that I can see from watching over it.

I've polled the sites I know about periodically just to make sure that
something FreeBSD-ish is there and it seems like syncs have happened
recently but I haven't tried to collect a complete list of exactly
what each site has yet.

> as 5.X release progresses i'm assuming by about 5.3/5.4 a *lot* of 4.X
> people will be upgrading..

This leads to a good question I don't know the answer to.  At what point
would scaling back to just one version of the 4.X branch be OK?

> on a personal note, is there enough interest in doing some work on
> the freebsd-archive project ?  at the very least historically it'd
> be great to make all FreeBSD RELEASE trees available online from 1.0
> onwards (does anyone still have pre 1.0 trees around somewhere?) even
> if holding all the package trees is.. difficult.   does anyone have
> original ISO images from walnut creek around also ?

I remain interested in that as well.  Everything I've managed to
collect so far is available via rsync from ftp-master.us and does
appear on the public FTP site I run here (ftp.cse.buffalo.edu).
It does get hit on occasion so someone(s) know it exists, though
I haven't tried to publicize it much yet.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu