Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 2014 11:27:08 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   zfs sends "hang" recipient?

Hi,

I=92ve got a FreeBSD 9.1 server that does zfs sends (via zxfer from =
ports) to a FreeBSD 10.0 server. All AMD64, the pool is some 6T, 50% =
full. Sender has 144GB RAM, recipient has 192GB.

The snapshots are done with one of the tools in the ports (can=92t =
remember the name right now, I=92ve basically tried them all).
During the send process (with takes 5 to 15 minutes), the receiving host =
is blocking all commands involving filesystems.
Stuff like df, or zpool list hangs until the receive has completed.

Is this a known problem?

Would it help upgrading the 9.1 server to 10.0, too?
In this setup, I=92m really conservative regarding upgrades, as I have =
very little downtime.

I=92ve got a MySQL database on the receiving server (not on the same =
filesystem, of course, but on the same pool) that functions normally.

I could ignore this, but our statistics-gathering tool relies on stuff =
like the above and is completely b0rked by the hangs (which I could =
ignore again, if it wasn=92t for the customer who wanted these =
statistics, too=85)

Rainer=