Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 17:43:05 +0100
From:      Piero <piero@poprostu.pl>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[3]: Gnome crash at startup

W li¶cie otrzymanym 06 Dec 2002 10:42:38 -0500 od Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> :

> Problem one _might_ be your locale.  I have nothing against
> Poland, but GNOME might ;-).  Specifically, you're using the
> new-style locale names.  While this _should_ work, there may be
> problems.  Using the older compatibility style might help:
>
> LANG=pl_PL.ISO_8859-2
> MM_CHARSET=ISO_8859-2

I've tried. No effect. And as I wrote before, I always try this at a plain basic account (no locale, no other stuff), and it neither hangs up.

> Now, this pales in comparison to:
>
> > gnomecore-1.4.2     Core component for the Gnome Desktop Environment
>   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> You can't do this!  Have a look at
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q4.  What I recommend
> now, is to remove _all_ GNOME ports,, then reinstall GNOME 2 from
> scratch from the ground up.  I recommend, like the webpage says,
> to use the x11/gnome2 meta-port since it has built-in checks for
> things such as this.

I know this! I think I read all possible howtos, tutorials and faqs online before installing Gnome 2, for either FreeBSD or Linux users (which I'm not), even those that suggest building everything manually from scratch without ports, packages whatever.

This was making me think since the installation, but guess what, I was installing all this stuff from Gnome 1.4 first, and forgot to uninstall the core before going for Gnome 2, but though G2 installed without problem and took off. And I noticed it some time later, and what's the hell? But it kept running without issues for few months until my last solved problem with corrupted config and now. I know it's weird, but I has thought, if it works, let it work.

Thanks,
---
 Piero
 piero@poprostu.pl