Date:      Sat, 02 Aug 1997 20:03:07 +0100
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:

>Because -current is "not yet release code" and tcl8.0b2 is "almost but
>not quite release code".
>
>That's why.
>
>It sounds to me like a lot of people should seriously reconsider if
>they ought to run -current :-(

This seems to be something of an oversimplification.  Whilst there
are undoubtedly people who are much more likely to be better off
running release (or perhaps -stable) code, there are quite a number
of people who need features (SMP, for example) that are only present
in -current.

The problems come about when the base operating system contains
components that really shouldn't be there at all.  TCL, Perl certainly
fall into this category, and there's probably quite a bit else which
would be better off in either ports, or an 'additions' package.
A cursory glance through my /usr/src shows ncftp, opie, amd, cdplayers,
x-ten, xntpd, amongst others, all of which don't necessarily belong
in a base FreeBSD syste.

By including such non-essential components (in the sense that they
are not needed to run a stripped-down FreeBSD box) in the whole base
release, it seems that problems such as the one currently under
discussion are simply going to become more and more regular, which is
likely to cause much needless aggravation and raised blood-pressures.

It seems to me that an urgent study is required, to identify those parts
of the current /usr/src tree that don't really belong in the core
system, migrating them out either into the ports collection, or setting
up an additions structure -- we could then move to a state where:

	FreeBSD-core + FreeBSD-additions = FreeBSD-package (existing /usr/src)
with	FreeBSD-ports   continuing along its current excellent path.

Those that then wish to stay current with the core operating system,
who are not worried (for whatever reason) about the additions, such
as tcl and perl, can do so, without worrying that whenever they cvsup
an entire core source tree and do a make world, they're not exposing
themselves to installing other -current software other than that part
that they're particularly interested in.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet Ltd.