Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 12:58:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@lakewood.com>
To:        peter@spinner.dialix.com.au (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bastard System V (Was: Bug in malloc/free)

As far as the mixed lineage of SVR4...

I snipped a number of pieces on info here... I'm sorry but I lost the attribution.

> > > Don't forget the mixed lineage of the SVR4 tree.  My memory is a little
> > > vague, but as I understand/remember:-
> > >
> > > - AT&T/USL release a native version on the 3b series of machines.
> > >
> > > - Intel get hold of it and port it to the 386 (SVR4/386), merging in all
> > > the Xenix etc stuff from SVR3.  I think this was with the involvement of
> > > Interactive but I don't really know.  I suspect this port was where the
> > > first 'map page zero on demand' behavior happened.  Anyway, this was
> > > handed back to USL or something.
> >
> > Xenix was folded in in System V.3.2.  I don't know when AT&T moved
> > their base from 3b2 to i386, but it had happened by the time I did
> > some courses with AT&T in late 1991.
>
> I was under the impression that it happened twice..  The 1989 vintage SVR4
> release was 3b specific (I have some AT&T manuals that have 3b console
> output samples), and it didn't have the Xenix stuff in it as far as I can
> tell.  From what I understand, AT&T did SVR3.0, Intel/Interactive did the
> the Xenix support and handed it back to AT&T and it was called SVR3.2.
>
> Meanwhile AT&T/USG did SVR4.0, and Intel/Interactive/etc merged the SVR3.2
> (or was that SYSV R3.2 v2.0?) Xenix stuff forward to the SVR4 base and
> produced SVR4/386 and again sent it back to AT&T/USG and/or USL (I think
> USL existed by then).
>
> > > - Meanwhile, motorola were porting the 3b code to the 68000 series (Amiga
> > > UNIX was based on the motorola port which "felt" quite different to the
> > > SVR4/386 derived code).
> >
> > > - Also, the SVR4/386 code was converted to run on the MIPS series
> > > processors (as used in the SVR4 internals book).  When I met one of the
> > > authors of the book, he had some interesting stories to tell about this.

Back to the os anthropology.

Actually, there were both 3b and SVR4 trees under development at the SVR4
timeframe.  A friend of mine at USL Summit worked on the SVR3.2 print spooler
and the SVR4 stuff (the print spooler was being worked on for SVR4 and
moved to the 3.2x port as well -- if my memory is correct).
The same friend worked on the Amiga stuff later and also vouched for it's
3b beginnings...)

Pyramid used the i386 port as the basis for it's MIPS port of DC/OSx.  I'm
unsure if it was the straight 386 port -- or the previously mentioned
RISC/OS MIPS mix used at the beginning of the port.

The backup program requested a floppy in drive A: 8-) (no such thing on
the SMP Pyramid...  I know they had it working with some MIPS stuff before
their hardware was finished. (This was back when the code was beta.)
Interestingly enough, a number of 68k vendors used the 3b port as their base
making some wierd differences.

 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
 pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.