Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 15:46:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Marius Strom <marius@alpha1.net>
To:        Dave Boers <djb@wit389306.student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        Dan Papasian <bugg@bugg.strangled.net>, Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current lockups

Dave,
Well, there was a discussion a few weeks back with Soren Schmidt and a few
others.  I believe the conclusion was made that this occurred with most WD
drives (interesting about the WD == IBM part, I did notice he mentioned
that in -current a few weeks ago as well).  I had a WD20 gig that would
just hang, and a number of other people had similar problems. (Theirs
would log "Lost Disk Contact" in the dmesg as their root dev wasn't a
UDMA66 drive)

Unfortunately, the discussions occurred while the mailing list archive was
kaput (WD Drive on UDMA66? =]) so it's not archived where I can find it.

Seems to only happen with the ata driver, IIRC.

--
Marius Strom <marius@alpha1.net>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
...In practice, there is a big difference.