Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:49:40 -0400
From:      George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   SFF 8472, aka what optic is plugged into my network card...

Howdy,

Modern 10G NICs have the ability to have different types of cables =
plugged into them.
There is a standard for the values contained in the cables which can be =
read here:

=
http://www.10gtek.com/templates/wzten/pdf/SFF-8472-(Diagnostic%20Monitorin=
g%20Interface).pdf

It's probably the case that several NIC cards support changeable optics =
on FreeBSD at this point.
I know that Chelsio T4 cards do.  I would like to put proper definitions =
from this document
into our source code.  Does anyone have a preference for where and how =
this is done?

I figure something like net/sff8472.h would be the way to go.

Comments?

Best,
George