Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 10:11:59 -0400
From:      "Gray, David" <David_W_Gray@tvratings.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD Chat List'" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Backups and such

There's lots of suggestions, but I don't see any
clear winners in this discussion.

Amanda looks nice, but it can't handle backups across
split volumes. Yuck. My bigger partitions are 3X the
size of the biggest tape I have. And I don't have a whole
lot of disk space to use for buffering, either. I have
several 15G filesystems (in use, that is), and I don't
have much free space anywhere.

A multivolume dump to tape works, and is the current
solution - but its slow over the network - the speed
of the tape and the speed of the net don't match well,
causing the tape to go to stop-start mode. Amanda gets
around that by using a local disk as the buffer (we
do the same here at work, where our databases are in
the 100's of Gigs. But here they can afford mutliple
tape robot silos...) Oh yes, that
reminds me, tape is also damned expensive. Especially
compared to the $/Gig of the current IDE drives. The
typical home user isn't going to see the cost effectiveness
of backups, at this rate. (There were some cheap tape
drives on E-bay recently - nearly fainted when I priced the
media. To back up my 20G drive (once) I would need to
spend 80% of its cost, in media.)

We need something better. Even recordable DVDs are too small,
we need 100G or better, removeable storage, at an inexpensive
price. Its tempting to say it can be real slow - but - it
can't - we need to be able to do backups in a reasonable
amount of time. Is there anything that can beat the $/Mb of
hard disks?