Date:      07 Sep 1999 10:22:02 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Alex Perel <veers@disturbed.net>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Pascal Hofstee <daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates in latest build?

Alex Perel <veers@disturbed.net> writes:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Brad Knowles wrote:
> > 	However, it might be a bit more difficult to script creating and
> > installing a new kernel to turn on the ability for people to do
> > password sniffing. [...]
> Huh?
> # echo 'pseudo-device bpf' >> MYKERNEL
> # config MYKERNEL
> etc.

Actually, it's still "bpfilter" in -STABLE. I didn't MFC the name
change, since it would have been a gratuitous breach of POLA.

> And what are you going to do when bpf becomes a KLD? Scream and shout that
> KLDs are evil because they let a cracker who obtained superuser privilige to
> load BPF support?

KLD modules already let you do much, much more serious stuff than this
(refer to Pragmatic/THC's recent article about writing stealth modules
to hijack syscalls: http://thc.pimmel.com/files/thc/bsdkern.html), but
like bpf, if the attacker can use them (s)he already has root.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no