Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:17:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Arnold <jim0266@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound vchans and gaim sound conflict

Sometimes when I use Gaim and I get too many sounds
going at once my sound card gets confused and starts a
loud buzzing that can only be stopped by a reboot.
This seems to happen when two people IM me at the same
time.

I turned off the sound in Gaim for all but incoming
messages but I still have that problem on occasion.
Having to reboot for this is pretty lame.

My sysctl.conf is set to: hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
Xmms uses  dev/dsp0.3 and Gaim uses /drv/dsp0.1

Here's my audio card:
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1373-B> port 0xe800-0xe83f irq 9 at
device 11.0 on pci0

The above did eliminate those annoying messages that
another app had grabbed the sound card. Any ideas on
how to get this to stop? Is it just a byproduct of a
cheap sound card?

Thanks,
Jim