Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 15:35:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        wes@softweyr.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDI giving out old info?

> >  HTTP accelerator                                                       ???
>
>    What is an HTTP accelerator, anyway?

A cache.

> >  ActiveX                                                               MSP  (bleh!)

ActiveX is pretty trivial to implement, if you know C++, and know to
type:

	#define	interface	struct

The COM and DCOM books describe it in sufficient detail that it can
be implemented.  The one caveat is that EGCS vtable support sucks.

> > VPN Support
> >  IPsec                                                                  ???
> >  ISAKMP                                                                 ???

These are supported via the WIDE/INRIA/LANL code, though the WIDE stuff
appears more mature.  FreeBSD is not, however, shipping it.

> >  PPTP                                                                   ???

This use GRE, and is similarly trivial, although interoperability with
the NT code is not, and the security sucks (open to man in the middle
and replay attacks).  FreeBSD is not shipping it.

> >  RAS                                                                   MSP ???

RAS is "Remote access server".  It means dial on demand PPP with
network address translation, generally.

> > Management
> >  SMNP Tools         (Too bad they can't spell SNMP, huh?)               BIY
>
>    I consider ports not to be BIY...

On the other hand, the port doesn't come with a MIB that lets you
actually manage a FreeBSD box.  FreeBSD boxes don't have sufficiently
centralized configuration data, and what data there is is cached all
over the place, instead of reacquired.  Someone really ought to look
into a socket implementation that binds to interfaces instead of to
IP addresses (e.g. an interface-bound INADDR_ANY).  Oh wait, I _am_
looking into that... ;^).

> > Advanced Features
> >  IPv6                                  It was developed on FreeBSD!     Yes
>
>    I wonder why they put N/A, then.

FreeBSD is not shipping it, and it is not a package.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.