Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 03:37:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   oh bugger. i ate my bios.

so, wishing to ascertain if cardbus was gonna work on my hp800ct, i
decided to flash the bios to the version that hp reccommended.

dire warnings where listed about not interrupting the process, which is
eminently reasonable....

so, i rebooted my desktop box to windows and wrote out the floppy and
hooked up the floppy drive to the laptop and rebooted and started process.

it chugged merrily along.

having had no further need to spend time in dosland, i rebooted the
desktop box back to freebsd so that i could get back to fiddling with it
via laplink cable ( cause i have no other net because cardbus isnt
supported i 4.3, remember :-) )

well. by crikey, as my desktop box rebooted itself it sent happy
electronic facts down the laplink cable and that was enuf to hang the
reflashing. 'bout midway thru.

wish i had disconnected it. wish those systemsoft people (the folks that
did the bios for the 800ct) had considered that as a possible problem and
either coded around it.

so, now i can here the hd spinning away quietly. it doesnt ever stop, and
of course, there is no keyboard response or display or even
dasblinkinlichts.

it's lost all higher functions.

so, has anybody recovered from this sort of screwup previously?

anybody have any suggestions whatsoever?

at least i wasnt into it for too much.....

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life