Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:17:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vinod <geekvinod@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   dynamic packet filtering to reduce congestion

Hi there.I am thinking of trying to avoid congestion
in my network by selectively dropping incoming packets
at my gateway.Actually it's part of a research project
where i am trying to avoid congestion and provide a
better connection to machines assigned a higher
priority.This will be at the cost of machines assigned
a lower priority.Dropping packets ,destined for low
priority machines, at the gateway will decrease
congestion in the network and will keep the connection
quality to high priority machines high.
How do i drop packets selectively(to certain
destinations) from my freebsd gateway?can the
ipfiltering tools be used? its important to note that
i will be filtering packets only when i detect
congestion.as soon as congestion is under reasonable
control i intend to stop my filtering.what would be
the best approach?what tools should i use?
Thanks,
Vinod