Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 02:35:19 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Kristian S?derholm <trasher@home.se>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux and FreeBSD

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 11:17:11PM +0200, Kristian S?derholm wrote:

> Please excuse my bad english.

There is nothing wrong with your english, get over it :)

> I have used Linux for several years now...

So have most of us.  If you ask in the typical group of FreeBSD people,
how many come from a Linux background you'll be pleasantly surprised.

> And I heard of a friend that FreeBSD maybe would be something for me.

Your friends knows you a lot better than all of us, but if you liked
using Linux, and you feel like a Unix-like OS (like Linux) is what
you're looking for, well then... FreeBSD is as close to Unix as you can
get these days.

If you have managed to get through a couple of Linux installations, each
time with a different distribution, then /stand/sysinstall will seem
like a gift from heaven.  Try the installation of FreeBSD and see how
easy an installation can be (thank you Jordan, and the rest).

> My question is then:
> Is FreeBSD like Linux at all or is it a hole new systemfor me?

If you felt comfortable with Linux, you'll have no problems.  All right,
a few command line options are different, there are no longer those long
GNU options --help-me-please-with-my-printer, etc.  You will certainly
find some differences, as you are getting used to FreeBSD.

Do not be scared off, by these minor differences though.  FreeBSD *is* a
Unix system, and you'll instinctively know your way around most of the
time, since you're using Linux for some time.

When you can not find what, or how, or when, there are these mailing
lists, packed with really helpful people, to answer your questions.

Ciao,
and welcome aboard.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >