Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 11:38:41 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        charnier@lirmm.fr
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: typos

    Philippe> Here are some typos I found when reading the
    Philippe> handbook.

A lot of these aren't necessarily typos but stylistic issues.

For example, these colons you're suggesting in quite a few places
might not be necessary.  Some style guides say that colons are needed
for complete sentences introducing a list, but aren't necessary for
partial phrases that are completed by each list item.

In this example, we need a colon:

        A number of alternatives exist, such as the following:

        * One alternative.
        * Another alternative.

But not here:

        A number of alternatives exist, including

        * One alternative.
        * Another alternative.

We should do what our style guide says ... as soon as we get one!

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

I filled out an application that said, "In Case Of Emergency Notify".
I wrote "Doctor"...  What's my mother going to do? -- Steven Wright