Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:42:09 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, dg@root.com, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [hackers:] Architectural advice needed

Mark Mayo scribbled this message on Dec 8:
> One thing that would have really helped us out that I now see in the
> win95/Mac netscape and mickeysoft conferencing tools is the
> "blackboard" thing - you can scribble and write on a blackboard
> that is shared by all members of the conference. I don't think this is
> present in the Unix version of Netscape 4.0 though... Bummer.

why not use sdr, whiteboard, and vat??  I've recieved quite good
resposne at home (over a 28.8k) from Luigi (in Europe) using GSM on
vat (I could hear him type :) )...  but the other way was to overloaded
for me to chat with him...

I'm looking at moving into the university dorms, and once I do, then
I can have all the fun of multicast...

> One thing is for certain, conferencing tools will almost certainly
> represent a pretty big market in the years to come. Especially once we
> start getting ADSL and cable modem rollouts so you can have an audio/video
> link happening. The FreeBSD project, IMHO, is a shining example of what
> can be accomplished through the Net, and the success is remarkable given
> the relatively primitive tools used!

yep...  once the higher speed connections come out.. then we can use
the Bt848 and a camera for video conferencing.. :)

> If it doesn't already exist, an X conferencing tool certainly seems like
> a neat program "waiting to be created" by some spirited programmer
> out there! :-)

yep, they all pretty much exist...  the ones that don't exist are the
ones that don't require X... :(

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD