Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 15:39:37 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        reyes01@ibm.net
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting ready to help

Francisco Reyes stands accused of saying:

> Some of the things I will need to know are:
> - Is it ok if I send html? If sgml is prefered where can I get hold
> of the sgml of the existing pages to change them and where
> can I get references to coding in sgml.

All the SGML for the handbook is in /usr/share/doc/handbook; that should be
a pretty good reference to start with 8)

> - If I merely have suggestions to a page should I just send the
> suggestions or should I send a revised copy? Is diff covered

That depends on the nature of the change - if it's just a few words,
just send the difference.  If it's a rewrite of a whole section, send
the lot 8)

> - Some of the pages I have seen in the handbook have asterisks.
> An example is the list of compatible cards. Any reason
> those sections have not been started? If the main problem is time

Lack of resources 8(

> html pages. One possible way is to ask people to help us by
> sending the data in a formated way so that I can write a small
> program to parse it and create the html/sgml automatically.

A sort of semiautomatic 'this hardware works' submission?  Sounds good.

> -When I give suggestions is it good to give the reason why I am
> suggesting them? Some of the messages I have written recently
> seemed a bit large and I figure many may have already to
> much to read so, me making the messages long may be
> inconvienient for others.

Not at all.  Long messages full of crap are inconvenient, but so far you're
making pretty good sense.  Thanks!