Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 00:19:45 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 on 3.2 STABLE ?

According to stefan parvu:
> I was curious about one fact: on <netinet/in.h> there is no any in6_addr
> support for IPv6. Am I wrong ? FreeBSD does not support IPv6 ?

Our Japanese friends are working to integrate IPv6 into current. For -STABLE,
you have at least 3 implementations that works fairly well (although I've
tried only the first two):

- KAME IPv6 (with IPsec and soon Mobile/IPv6)
  <http://www.kame.net/>;
  This is the one that will be in CURRENT. I use it on 3.1 and it is my
  connection to the 6BONE.

- INRIA IPv6 (with authentication part of IPsec and Mobile/IPv6)
  <ftp://ftp.inria.fr/network/ipv6/>;
  Works fine, especially with mobility.

- NRL IPv6 / IPsec. I haven't tried it but I heard it works well.

NetBSD & OpenBSD has decided to use one of the last two for themselves
(although I always forgot who took what -- I think NetBSD took INRIA and
OpenBSD NRL but I could be wrong).

KAME will become the unified-IPv6 for *BSD.

One of the goals for 4.0 _is_ having IPv6 as standard. For -STABLE it is very
easy to get and install it.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 4.0-CURRENT #74: Thu Sep  9 00:20:51 CEST 1999