Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 14:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jessem@livecam.com
To:        jkh@osd.bsdi.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jessemonroy@email.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Concern over ftp.freebsd.org

On  4 May, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>> I think this is the crux of things; if you had communicated
>> that information, that way, I think the outage itself would
>> have been a tempest in a teacup, and widely ignored while
>
> Perhaps, though I also can't help but notice that none of this
> occurred until *after* I posted something to announce.  "Damned if you
> do, damned if you don't" is a phrase which comes to mind.

I disagree. One of the points I've been trying to make this
whole time is that FreeBSD has community support. There are
plenty of businesses and people willing to help, if given
an opportunity.

However, when situation like this happen FreeBSD (et. al) go
into heavy denial. Not just of the situation, but of need of
assistance.

Per, the announcement itself, I'm sure there would have been
people to complain. Hell, I probababely(sp?) would be one of them.

The bottom line, after last nights meeting is:

    most club members are willing to give all involved the
    benefit of the doubt. Most people are willing to wait
    to get the new RELEASE, even though 5 of 7 could not
    get it after trying all week.

>>....[Trimming bunch of stuff]...
>>
>> The FreeBSD trademark is still controlled by someone other than
>> the FreeBSD Foundation.  I _did_ listen in on the conference call,
>> but I didn't interrupt with a question about your justification
>> for not transferring this to the foundation, sinceI didn't want
>
> Well, this is certainly something we also agreed to try and address
> and nobody said it *wouldn't* be done, simply that it had to be done
> carefully.  I also never said that there would be no transfer, just
> that it had to be transferred with a full and complete understanding
> of what that entailed.

I think this is the issue: Saying, "nobody said it wouldn't be done".
As we continue to grow FreeBSD, "not saying" things will come back
to bite us again and again. This is not to say there are not situation
in which one might see prudent reason for silence.

In short, FreeBSD (et. al) needs to take this opportunity to
regroup, define new directions, organize new methods, and
with this new "Sugar Daddy" breakout of this stale mate.

By statemate (sp?), I mean this circular issue of not communicating
well. I know that in part resource bind FreeBSD to us certain
channels and methods. This new resource (ie. WindRiver) needs
to be exploited. As such, everyone must understand the benefits
of Open Source and exactly why FreeBSD is good for their business.

In essance, FreeBSD (et. al) has *not* done this. To that, we
must expand the methods and means by which we communicate. I have
done what I can (poor as that might be), it is up to you (et. al)
to do the rest.

				I hope I've been clear.
				Best Regards,
				Jessem.