Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 19:27:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        mark@vmunix.com, tlambert@primenet.com, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, dyson@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, grog@lemis.com, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> > Also, could someone summarize the current problems with SMP and NFS?
> > Or are they "unknown" at this point in the game? I might be able
> > to talk Rick Macklem into lending a hand. He's been hinting that he
> > might try some SMP stuff soon, if there is a problem with SMP and NFS
> > I might be able to convince him that it's crucial to his NFS code  :-)
> > Of course, he'd have to stop using his microVAX for a while....
>
> As far as I know there are no problems with "SMP + NFS", if thats what
> you mean.  There are problems with SMP and problems with NFS, but nothing
> specific to the combination.

I think there are paging problems, since the operation may not complete
on the sampe processor because networking is relatively very slow and
has many sleep points.

There may be paging problems in general, and NFS just shows them
more readily; however, I kind of think that that's not the case.

I think the bug that's being complained about is running executables
using an NFS accessed file as backing store for swap.

The ironic thing is that, if this *is* a general problem, some of the
NFS remote vs. local changes I've been advocating since FreeBSD 1.0
would have masked the problem and left it to bite people later.  8-).

Look at completing the page mapping for a faulted page before sleeping
waiting for the transfer so it will be in both processors spaces (that's
my hunch).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---