Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 1995 23:25:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier ROBERT)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org (Hackers' list FreeBSD)
Subject:   Meaning of maxfiles

Has the meaning of maxfiles been changed somewhere ?

Before the great VM/buffer merge (which works great down here with
today's patch fo vfs_bio), my system-wide max # of open files was
about 680 or 700 (pstat -T).

Now it seems that the max # of open files PER process has become
thet system-wide limit...

223/256 files
    677 vnodes
17M/64M swap space

and 256 files are very easy to have system-wide opened...

Jan 11 23:10:42 keltia /kernel: file: table is full

config file follows, I added

options     "CHILD_MAX=128"
options     "OPEN_MAX=128"

When I ran out of processes... a while ago (duriing my 1.1.5 to 2.1
change).

Is there something I've overlooked ? Before the VM change it was
running without that problem... maxfiles is hard-wired as 256
in param.c which is very reasonnable of a per-process limit but
not as a system-wide limit.

David, John ?

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
#   $Id: GENERIC,v 1.11 1994/11/08 07:39:26 jkh Exp $
#

machine     "i386"
cpu         "I486_CPU"
ident       "NKELTIA"
maxusers    16

options     INET                    #InterNETworking
options     FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options     MFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options     PROCFS                  #Proc filesystem
options     "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3
options     UCONSOLE                #X Console support
options     "NCONS=4"               #4 virtual consoles
options     "SCSI_2_DEF"            #hack for the mp1624

# Experimental options
options     "AUTO_EOI_1"
options     "AUTO_EOI_2"
options     DUMMY_NOPS
options     DISKSLICE               # disk slices by bde
options     TEST_LABELLING
#
options     SYSVSHM
#options        SYSVSEM
#options        SYSVMSG
options     "SHMMAXPGS=64"          # 256Kb of sharable memory
options     GATEWAY

options     DODUMP          #We dump core-image on panic

options     "CHILD_MAX=128"
options     "OPEN_MAX=128"

options     KTRACE

options     "EXCLUDE_GUS"
options     "EXCLUDE_GUS_IODETECT"
options     "EXCLUDE_GUSMAX"
options     "EXCLUDE_GUS16"
options     "EXCLUDE_MSS"
options     "EXCLUDE_PSS"
options     "EXCLUDE_PAS"
options     "EXCLUDE_PRO_MIDI"

config      kernel  root on sd0 swap on sd0 and sd1 dumps on sd0

controller  isa0

controller  fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk        fd0 at fdc0 drive 0
disk        fd1 at fdc0 drive 1

controller  bt0 at isa? port "IO_BT0" bio irq ? vector btintr
controller  scbus0

device      sd0 #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows

device      st0 #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows

device      cd0 #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows
device      sc0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
device      npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device      sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device      sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
#device     sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
#device     sio3    at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

device      lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xcc000 vector edintr
#device ed1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
#device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  10 vector epintr

device snd2 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 3 vector sbintr
device snd1 at isa? port 0x388

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl  1
pseudo-device   ppp 1
pseudo-device   pty 24
pseudo-device   speaker
pseudo-device   vn          #Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
pseudo-device   disc            #Discard device

--
Ollivier ROBERT     -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-     roberto@FreeBSD.ORG
      FreeBSD keltia 2.1.0-Development #2: Sat Jan  7 00:55:25 MET 1995