Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 1995 11:53:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, paul@netcraft.co.uk, bde@zeta.org.au, davidg@freefall.freebsd.org, CVS-commiters@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-sys@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/isa wd.c

> >> But there won't be a month or two more of alpha and beta testing for
> >> 2.1. It should stay in current. It's completely new and not currently
> >> working code, it breaks all rules for 2.1 to bring it into stable.
> >
> >There has been some misunderstanding.  The ATAPI code will not be
> >enabled in the boot floppy.  It will be enabled in a new
> >`ide_cdboot.flp' file (or whatever I decide to call it).  It's
> >just there to give some alternative to those now many thousands
> >of people with IDE CDROMs out there who would otherwise be left
> >high and dry and none to happy about it.
> >
> >					Jordan
>
> Are you making the kernel into a separate distribution so that the
> installed kernel has ATAPI support in it for those who boot with the
> ide_cdboot.flp?

IMHO, a grave mistake is being made here if the ATAPI support is going
into the 2.1 RELEASE is any form.  Jordan claims that this will make
1000's of PC users happy.  I claim it will create 800 bug reports from
the 80% of those 1000 user for whom it shall fail, and put a lot of egg
on the face of the 2.1 release.

Ultimately this is David and Jordans decision to make though, and if
this is there decision I hope they are prepared to handle this side
effect.

I can also attest that the -current version of the wd driver now seems
to have rather serious problems with my pre ATA-1 spec disk drives,
(Seagate ST-157A) that started about the time the ATAPI support went
in.  I did no debugging on it, I simply pulled the drives and threw
them on the shelf as obsolete hardware.