Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:32:13 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chip <chip@wiegand.org>, "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why dual boot?

Thus spake Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>:
> I think the most common case of a new FreeBSD user is one
> who is going to "try out FreeBSD" with some of the free
> space on their (probably new) computer.  For this to work
> out in FreeBSDs favor, the fear-factor has to be removed,
> which is that you can undo the FreeBSD installation once
> it has been done, and that you won't trash your Windows XP
> (or other Windows) system.

I don't know if it's a question of fear as much as patience.  I think
most newcomers are clueful enough to deal with partitions and the
idiosyncracies of the installer's UI, but if anything goes wrong,
they'll just give up and try something else.  That's what I did years
ago the first time I tried to install FreeBSD, and I only came back
about a year ago.

The present installer has a fairly high success rate, at least in my
experience.  That could be improved upon by taking out things that
don't belong there, like package installation, networking services,
and X configuration.  Once people get FreeBSD up and running, they're
more likely to stick with it and deal with those things.

Granted, there are also a lot of newcomers who *aren't* clueful enough
to deal with partitions, or who don't have Partition Magic and would
need to resize a Windows partition.  Making the installation work for
them is a far more ambitious goal, which requires a free utility that
works like Partition Magic (only better).  Such a thing wouldn't even
have to come from the FreeBSD project as long as it had a suitably
free license.  It's too bad nothing like that exists.