Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:28:32 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan)
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: logrotate, a proposal

#define quoting(Daniel O'Callaghan)
// Hi Joao,
//
// I wanted to do a bit more with logrotate than just rotate to .0, .1 etc.
// I'd like it to accept a strftime(3) format for the extension, along the
// lines of e.g. 'date +%h'.  Would you like to look into adding this facility?

My main concern when creating this program was just extract the rotate
facility from newsyslog.  IMHO, newsyslog sources are a mess, and need
a complete rewrite, but I forced myself to make the fewest possible
changes.

If I try to make the change you ask, I'll be tempted to change EVERYTHING,
including newsyslog.  If we had a logrotate working, newsyslog could just
call it with the right arguments.  If this is ok for everybody, I'll try
to find some time this weekend to do this.  If someone has any other idea
for logrotate and/or newsyslog, please tell me before that.

BTW: I have done this previous work based on -stable newsyslog.  Are there
significative changes in -current ?

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br